About the Building
Built around 1920 next to the Ansley Golf Club, the building was called The Italian Villa Apartments until World War II, when it was renamed simply The Villa. The building was converted to a condominium in 1979.
Renowned Atlanta architect Philip Trammell Shutze (left) is credited with designing The Villa. Shutze modeled the front of The Villa after the entry to the Cortile of the Chiesa di Santa Cecilia in Trastevere in Rome. Shutze studied the structure while touring Italy as a young man.
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) named The Villa one of the city’s five best buildings built between 1916 and 1925. It has also been voted one of the 50 Most Beautiful Homes in the city by Atlanta Magazine.
About Philip Trammell Shutze
Columbus native Philip Trammell Shutze started his career with a B.S. in Architecture from Georgia Tech (1908-12). He went on to New York City’s Columbia University (1912-13), and later won the Prix de Rome and a fellowship at the American Academy of Rome (1915-17, 1919-20). Back in Atlanta, he initially served as a draftsman for Neel Reid, as part of the architectural firm Hentz, Reid, and Adler. Notable works include the Swan House, Calhoun House, Rhodes House, and East Lake Golf Club Clubhouse. Learn more about Shutze at the Georgia Encyclopedia and The Cultural Landscape Foundation.